Saturday, September 20, 2008

Up to my neck in grading....



I vaguely remember several warnings on how much stuff I collected to be graded, but I didn't really realize what they were talking about until now.  Since the beginning of the year, I've probably collected about 20 different writings/homework from my classes.  That is almost 3200 things that I have to "grade", which has now become a swamp of papers that I don't have the time to get to.  

My solution is to employ a simple grading system for drill type BCR's where I just give a quick check, check plus, or check minus - which get a score of 2-5 points.  That is helping me move through papers and get some grades down so that I can have something to show my students.  

I've already started grading the tests too, my wife has helped with the multiple choice - I made a master grader by punching out holes so she just lays the sheet down and marks the wrong answers and adds them up.  So far the results are all over the board, which shows to me that the test wasn't too easy, and I'm pretty certain it wasn't too hard.  I've yet to get into the essays to know whether the students could explain domestication, the differences between hunter-gatherers and early farmers, and why civilization developed in the Fertile Crescent rather than in Papua New Guinea.

The nice thing about mindless grading of drills and various essays - I can listen to Michael Medved.

2 comments:

Lauren M said...

Do you get a planning period?

The Constable said...

I get a planning period and then a little, much of which goes towards further revisions to the day's lessons, or clumsily planning the next day's triumph.